- Meaning – Partial or total loss of memory.
- Synonyms – Memory loss, blackout.
- Antonyms – Retention or Retentiveness.**
- Usage – He suffered from temporary amnesia after the accident and could not remember anything for a while.
** – Contributor – David.
- Meaning – A general pardon granted by a government, especially for political offenses.
- Synonyms – absolution, condonation, excuse, forgiveness, pardon, remission.
- Antonyms – Arrest.
- Usage – The prisoner pleaded for amnesty.
143. AMOK / AMUCK
- Meaning – to run about in a violent frenzy.
- Synonyms –amuck, berserk, demoniac, demoniacal, possessed, murderously
- Antonyms – Non-destructive, controlled.
- Usage – Run amok.
- Meaning – Strongly attracted or disposed to love, especially sexual love.
- Synonyms – amative, concupiscent, erotic, lascivious, lecherous, lewd, libidinous, lustful, lusty, passionate, prurient, sexy.
- Antonyms – cold, cool, frigid, hateful, indifferent, unfriendly
- Usage – Sarah’s amorous adventures were great fun in Paris.
- Meaning – A love affair, especially an illicit one.
- Synonyms – affair, love, love affair, romance.
- Antonyms – dislike, hate, hatred.
- Usage – Oh, what a dear ravishing thing is the beginning of an Amour!
-Behan, Brendan Francis
- Meaning – Lacking definite form; shapeless.
- Synonyms – formless, inchoate, shapeless, unformed, unshaped.
- Antonyms – definite, distinct, distinctive, shaped, shapely.
- Usage – Gelatin is amorphous until it is placed in a mold.
- Meaning – An animal capable of living both on land and in water.
- Synonyms – amphibious
- Antonyms – aquatic, terrestrial.
- Usage – Frogs are amphibians.
148. AMPHITHEATER ( *RE)
- Meaning – a round or oval building with an open space (arena) surrounded by rising rows of seats
- Synonyms – coliseum, amphitheatre.
- Antonyms – // Comment if you Know.
- Usage – It will be a natural amphitheater with waterfalls perfumed by tropical flowers.
- Meaning – Greatness of size; magnitude.
- Synonyms – bulk, magnitude, mass, size, volume, bigness, greatness, largeness, magnitude, sizableness,
- Antonyms – rareness, emptiness, incompleteness, need, void, want.
- Usage – The wave amplitude varies from zero ( nodes ) to a maximum, half way between the nodes.
- Meaning- large in size, extent, scope, more than enough; abundant.
- Synonyms – sufficient, adequate, abundant, plentiful, spacious, roomy, extensive.
- Antonyms – insufficient, meager, not enough.
- Usage – Ample parking for two or three cars.