- Meaning – The coexistence of opposing attitudes or feelings, such as love and hate, toward a person, object, or idea.
- Synonyms – equivocation.
- Antonyms – certainty, decisiveness
- Usage – In the short term, such ambivalence is not a problem.
132. AMBULATE / AMBLE
- Meaning – To walk slowly or leisurely; stroll.
- Synonyms – meander, perambulate, promenade, ramble, saunter, stroll, wander.
- Antonyms – run.
- Usage – The patient was allowed to ambulate in the room.
- Meaning – The act of lying in wait to attack by surprise.
- Synonyms – ambush, ambuscade, bushwhack, waylay.
- Antonyms – // Comment if you know.
- Usage – They suspected an ambush.
- Meaning – To make or become better; improve.
- Synonyms – better , improve , meliorate, amend, help, upgrade.
- Antonyms – worsen.
- Usage – It can be ameliorated by prior treatment with a pulse of corticosteroids.
- Meaning – willing to be influenced or controlled.
- Synonyms – biddable, compliant, conformable, docile, obedient, submissive, supple, tractable.
- Antonyms – irresponsible, not responsible, unaccountable, unanswerable, unchargeable, intractable, nonconforming, uncooperative, unwilling.
- Usage – We are all amenable to the law.
- Meaning – Characterized by or exhibiting friendliness or goodwill; friendly.
- Synonyms – friendly, neighborly, warmhearted.
- Antonyms – unfriendly, hostile.
- Usage – An amicable settlement was reached.
- Meaning – friendly relationship between people or countries.
- Synonyms – friendship, cordiality.
- Antonyms – discord, dislike, hatred, hostility.
- Usage – Amity between the two nation will contribute to the prosperity of the region.
- Meaning – To change for the better; improve.
- Synonyms – rectify , remediate , remedy , repair, correct, emend, mend, redress, reform, right.
- Antonyms – blemish, corrupt, debase, depress, harm, impair, injure, mar, reduce, subtract, worsen.
- Usage – Lets try to amend our relationship.
- Meaning – things that make you comfortable and at ease.
- Synonyms – comforts , conveniences , creature comforts.
- Antonyms – abomination, inconvenience, disruption, misbehavior
- Usage – The job offered me a great pay and various amenities.
- Meaning – Out of proper order.
- Synonyms – afield, astray, awry, wrong, imperfectly.
- Antonyms – good, right, well.
- Usage – Something is amiss.